Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Anyone want to see Ty Ji-Tae???

There he is...in the carrier on his foster-mom's back. This is how he is used to traveling. The first of many changes.

Mama's Boy?


This one is NOT afraid of Daddy.


First few moments together.



Sharing a lunch of Korean Barbeque

**sigh**
He's perfect
We had an amazing hour together. Learned a lot about his routines. He eats anything - shock - and takes 3 one-hour naps. He has had a lot of love from his foster mom and extended family. He has never been in a car seat so that will be fun! He went readily to Jim and liked me too. Had a quick check by the doctor to make sure he can leave the country and, yes, he can. Don't know why a 20+ pound baby needs two bottles in the middle of the night but I can deal with that when we get home, I guess. Unlike Marie, Ty has some serious Mongolian spots. These are darkened areas of the skin that will eventally fade as he gets closer to 10. Right now, it looks like he was hit and bruised along his backside. We go to the doctor Monday and will need to have them documented in case we get falsely accused some day at the beach. Other than that, he is in perfect health. No dry skin, no colds, no ear infections...just lots of smiles. We both were able to coax some smiles from him. He clearly prefers his foster mom but that is how it should be right now. We realize that at some point he is going to go through some grief and loss as he realizes that she is gone. The other wrinkle is that he sleeps on his foster mom. He falls asleep on her chest wtih his head on her shoulder and sleeps right there. So, we will have to transition him to sleeping on his own too. Our dog Cody will be in for a shock when he has to share me.
The visit and doctor check-up lasted one hour. At the end, the foster mom invited us to lunch of Korean barbeque. It was wonderful. We couldn't communicate explicitly but managed to do okay. We had to remove our shoes and sit on the floor around this little table. It was so small that Ty could stand at it. The table had a hole in the middle where they grilled the meat. Ty kept me and the foster mom busy as we kept him away from the white hot coals. Jim and I kept laughing that "the grandmas" would have a fit if they could see this. But we weren't in any position to question the foster mom. It was an amazing lunch spending time getting to know each other and Ty. That hour was worth the cost of the trip, no question. We are so thrilled we could have that opportunity.
After we said goodbye to them we took the subway back into downtown. Spent a great day just walking, shopping, eating food from street vendors. We kept pulling out the camera to look at the pictures again and pinching ourselves thinking about tomorrow.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We certainly appreciate all the support and love. We do feel very far away so your thoughts are appreciated!
For those of your wondering about the OTHER child, we talked with Marie this morning via Skype. She is great. Our friend Kerry and her daughter Hailey visited Marie Monday afternoon and told us that she is her "happy chipper self." Marie has been treated to the carousel at the mall, a library trip, a trip to the Build-a-Bear store and more sweets than we can imagine. When we talk to her, we can tell she is doing just fine!




11 comments:

The Meier Two said...

Well, the first thing (before brushing me teeth even!) I did this am was to check the blog! Tears of joy came as I saw the delight and love on your faces! We are so happy for you. Momma's boy? Well, someone to protect momma I will expect! 20+ pounds is no small thing!! He doesn't know it yet but you will be the best thing to happen to him in his life! By now you may be have him all to yourselves! What a thrill! Natural high! We love you and your entire family!! Cody included!

Reading Glasses said...

A great day indeed! I can't wait to meet Ty!

Lisa said...

Note to self: Do NOT read Jim and Juleen's blog at work... hard to explain the tears to co-workers!

I am soooo excited to see these photos and they just melted my heart! We are so happy for you guys! What a sweet little boy you have there! I can't even imagine how hard it was to say good bye yesterday! Glad to hear Ty is doing well and is healthy! The mongolian spots can be tricky.... Gracie's school actually wrote up an accident report once when they saw hers! Her teacher knew about it but the assistant did not. lol. So glad to hear Marie is doing well... sounds like a little girls dream vacation... Build-a-Bear, Carousel, Library, etc..... she's not doing to bad, is she? ;)

Thank you so much for sharing and I am just tickled pink for you guys!

yellownova said...

Awesome--he looks so healthy! Ty is going to outweigh Marie within the year, I do believe. I know you just can't wait to bring him home. We will be praying that he will just fall asleep on your chest on the plane ride home! Yeah!


Conway

Abby said...

Hooray! I'm soooo happy for you! I too had tears :) Can't wait to see you all Thursday night. I have a fun afternoon planned with Marie that day. Debbie says they are having a blast with her.

HollyMarie said...

He is adorable! And yes, perfect! :) Can't wait to meet him. :)

tarita said...

Okay lets see if I can type this through the tears.Jim and Juleen,Ty is precious and I know God has a special plan for his life. I know you are eager to have him with you and get him home. I look forward to seeing pictures of the Whall family all together.

Dan and Tamie said...

YIPPEE!!! He's BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the photo at WSH. Must have been an amazing thing to hold that "not so little" child today. God bless all of you! Lots of love and prayers!

usafinks said...

He looks like he is ready to come home! Congrats to all four of the Whall clan. Dutch thinks he has the makings of a center. Can't wait to meet him!

Take Care,

Love to all,

Kenn and Rossette

usafinks said...

prayers for foster mom, Ty's foster family and you guys as the transition starts to take place...

he's just beautiful!

Mary B said...

CongratualtionS Juleen! I am so excited for you .... great pictures.