Friday, August 22, 2008

Last Hurrah at Malibu Beach

The view at Malibu beach

L-O-V-I-N' the Choo-Choo at the park

Uncle Jeff is just the best at this!!!


At the beginning of the ride (note happy trailer girl!)


"I Love the BEACH!"

Our second-to-the-last day in LA consisted of going to the Griffith Park and Observatory (all of us for the first time even though some of us have lived there for 22 years!) That was awesome and a great deal. Choo-choo rides for dollars, pony rides, playground, free parking and just down the hill from Uncle's house. Marie had a blast and did a lot of things out of her comfort zone, like riding a pony.

Last day was the true Southern Cali experience. We got bikes and rode them from Venice Beach up to Malibu. Marie sat in a little trailer Jim pulled behind his bike with a $4 bag of kettle corn; she was digging it. The view is just amazing and as we rode I kept trying to think of where in the world is there a comparable experience? We have a bike path along the bay here but it takes 10 minutes, not over an hour! I don't think there is a similar path anywhere...it was so amazing. (Okay, second time I said that.) Once we stopped and were down at the water's edge I laughed because I immediately got my "nature eyes." I could feel the eye strain as I started scanning the ocean for spouting and jumping, looking for dolphins and whales. And I did indeed see a pod of dolphins leaping as we biked back!!! Jim reports that on the return trip, he kept hearing Marie report from her little trailer, "Almost done!" He wondered what she was "almost done" with! Sure enough, once we unzipped it we discovered that the kettle corn bag had become a pillow, she had completely unpacked the backpack and, best of all, had liberated all the wipes in the little travel pack of wipes I carry and decorated her trailer with them. The day ended as we scarfed down dinner at a Cuban restaurant afterwards (cause there are SOOO many of those here in Northern Michigan!) Sadly, the next day it was back in the airplane to come home. And next week, teachers report on Tuesday. This may mean that summer is over : (

3 comments:

tarita said...

Sounds like a great way to end the summer. I am glad ya'll had this opportunity.
Juleen, I hope the school year is a great one for you.

Reading Glasses said...

Too much fun! I miss my niece, I'll have to come up for a visit :)

HollyMarie said...

I've enjoyed catching up on what you have been up to. It looks like your trip out west was really wonderful! I hope school is going well so far this year. :)