Our Ancestor Table. The Blank Frame is for the ancestors we do not know.
Spicy Shrimp Noodles and General Tso's Chicken. Traditional gifts for the children in the blue bowl.

Marie enjoying herself at China Fair restaurant. She was the hit of the place in her outfit!
Wow...I can tell you why almost every Chinese person is thin... they expend more energy cooking the meal than eating it. After our Chinese New Year celebration tonight, our friend Scott was generously doing the dishes and he commented, "HOW did you use so many dishes in making this?" Referencing the PILES of bowls and pans that were in the sink. We tried to explain that there were the dishes for the peanut sauce, for the shrimp marinade, for cooking the shrimp, for the shrimp noodle salad and then for the General Tso's chicken....we won't go into all that. AND I made the rice beforehand and the egg rolls were from a box! It takes a lot to make a chinese dish from scratch. Fortunately, our friend Pete is a chef and helped quite a bit in getting everything cooked. I can't imagine how things would have turned out with out him!
Anyways, we had a great time. We had some nice decorations and our ancestor table. We talked about how we honor our ancestors during this time and the blank frame represents Marie's ancestors who we do not know. We gave our friends gifts of chocolate money to bring them good luck this year and had sparklers to end the night. Marie had an absolute blast! She had a difficult time falling asleep because she was so worked up. Marie would like to wish you all a Happy New Year!!!

8 comments:
We were thinking of you guys today as we're talking about braving the Chicago cold to go to Chinatown to see the dragon and light off some firecrackers. Thought we'd check out your site first. As usual, great fun for us to see how much fun you're having. Sorry to hear about the recent sickness though. Please give Marie a hug & kiss from us. Love, Jacqui & John
Looks like you had a great time. I was going to attempt to make the dishes next year maybe we will just do takeout:)
Marie is cute as always. Of course she was the hit!
Wow! I am so impressed with the spread! Sounds incredibly yummy!
I totally LOVE the ancestor table!
Wow, I can't believe we never thought of doing something like that even before Annalee joined our family... my boys love hearing WWII stories and battles that their great grandfathers we in -- they are so proud of that.
oh, and the empty frame... really, really powerful stuff!
thanks for sharing... I hope you don't mind if I borrow that awesome idea!!
A great idea! I love the blank ancestor frame, that is very nice. I'm also really impressed that you cooked all that yourself. As always, Marie looks like she is enjoying the feast and the visit from her friends.
You can tell Marie that Uncle Rob and Aunt Sandy were there in spirit, though in practice we went to the Great China restaurant in Brighton.
I just noticed Zoot and Al on the Ancestor Table. I got a good chuckle out of that.
Lucky is there too, Rob! She is on top of the chair, behind Zoot!
Looks like you had a wonderful time, and Marie is adorable as always.
The ancestor table is a wonderful idea! We even read about that in a children's book we bought, but didn't think to set one up. And I love the blank frame idea. We may be copying you next year!
:-) Anne, Scott and Ava
Post a Comment