Monday, March 30, 2009

Diva In Her Own Mind

I Give UP. This child will agree to wear sensible outfits on school days and when we go in public. But at home, she comes up with her own, ummm, creations. I rearranged her closet a little the other day and shuffled the clothes to the basement that no longer fit and brought up the the ones that now do. She was very very much involved in this process. When I would find a piece that I was fond of that no longer fit, I would tell her how sad I was that she was growing. Each time, she came over and gave me a hug, telling me, "It's okay." She agreed that her U of M jersey could go to Ty, which was shockingly generous as she loves her "football shirt." She was also eyeing her summer dresses and trying to negotiate some wear-time on them now (the high today was forty). However, they were sent to the back of the closet till warmer weather is upon us. In our cleaning of the closet, she discovered a hairbow, her sparkly black dress and lavender tights. Of course, these items make a fabulous Sunday afternoon outfit, as you can see.


The other new development is her social monitoring skills. Today, at lunch, I would not give her a cookie. She had a PB & honey sandwich, peaches and yogurt and only ate the sandwich. Very simply I told her, "Eat your lunch and you may have a cookie." She dawdled, waiting to see if I meant it and, I did. At this point I was informed that, "You are not being nice to me." !!!!! Later, Jim was helping her get her boots and snow pants on to go outside and play. At least, he intended to be helpful. She went off on him about how he was in her space and then evidently thought he was not listening so she ended with, "LISTEN to my WORDS!!!" How could we not? We don't know whether to be pleased with her attempts at working out "issues," frustrated with her rudeness in these misplaced attempts or just laugh at her trying on the new phrases! Which way would you go?


4 comments:

tarita said...

LOve the outfit. The words are always good for a laugh. We tell Shoshannah use your words but you have to be respectful. Yeah like it is working but we are trying. Can't wait to have them all together and listen to the conversations.

HollyMarie said...

Love the outfit! Ellie is starting to come into that stage too...but she is taking those lessons from big sister who is a step ahead in at least that department. ;)

usafinks said...

We have the same rules about clothing choices, weekday vs. weekend wear.

However, Annalee is wearing me down to a nub.

so, if you see us in matching hoochie dresses...give me a heads up! LOL

Reading Glasses said...

Hey, you took her to Hollywood and she got picked up in a limo, what do you expect? She has obviously picked up a taste for the finer things in life...