Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why We Are So Blessed


You'll have to forgive me; the astute ones out there will know these are old photos. But the camera has been without batteries since this weekend so these were the best I had.
Anyways, I have had the opportunity recently to visit with lots of people - some via email, some face-to-face, some on the phone. And it has just been so overwhelming to me how incredibly blessed my family is. First, that we have each other. Second that we are happy, healthy, safe, warm and do not have to worry about necesseties at all. Third, that we can wake-up without any pressing concerns - we have the luxury of just enjoying the day and each other. We are at a point where laughter is easy. The other day it was the witching hour - 4pm. I called Jim to see when he'd be home. As we were on the phone, I noticed M was doing the "I-gotta-go" dance. No sooner did I hang up then we made a mad and almost successful dash to the bathroom. During this time, Ty, no dummy, makes a mad breakout crawl for his favorite thing - the dog's food and water bowls. He reaches his goal and spills water all over him and the floor. M and I are covered with something else, as is the floor of the bathroom. A few weeks ago, this would've been tears for me; now I realize, "What are you gonna do? Laugh and get out the rags. No sense crying over spilled, er, stuff."
But there are so many other blessings right now too beyond our little family of four. Things as serious as the recent successful surgery of my brother helped along by my dad and stepmom, to more pleasant blessings like a wonderful vacation for my mother and unusually warm weather here in Northern Michigan so people got to go out without layers! We read about others blessings via their blogs- a friend's son's academic success and the improvement of Abby (from the button on the upper right), another friend's photos published for the first time and yet another getting through a stomach flu episode. And of course, lil Jack-Jack in Chicago, the newest addition to our extended family! We can't wait to welcome him personally!
There are others, though, who are not on the upswing we are. So, if you are a person of prayer, I ask for a moment from you. Specifically, a young lady I know who is going through a difficult time. She recognizes this testing period has given her strength she did not have before but her heart still aches over the difficulties in her life right now. Please keep Nicole in your prayers. Also, for my sister-in-law's mother, who we very much feel is part of our extended family. Her health has taken a turn for the worse and the outcome is not optimistic. She has been a wonderful friend to us, welcoming us into her home and family and always such a loving Grandma to our nieces and nephew. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.
I ask one more thing. Take a few moments to count your blessings. Let us know if you have any requests for prayers as well.

3 comments:

The Meier Two said...

So beautiful in thought and words. Thank you Juleen for taking the time to share your life with us and also for reminding us of all we have.

usafinks said...

beautifully written & wonderfully said!

our prayers are with those who you hold dear.

HollyMarie said...

So many blessings! I remember Ellie's favorite things were also the dog dishes; specifically the water bowl. It took many months for her to lose interest in dumping it.

I will say prayers for those you mentioned.