Saturday, March 14, 2009

Return to "Normal"


Hmmm...I can't seem to get my cursor to allow me to type at the top. Oh well. And that, my friends, is growth. Normally, I would obsess about that and demand a fix to it but I am gonna let it go. Anyways...
These are some pictures of a small part of what Jim and I concluded is a normal day for parents-of-two. This is Jim and Marie getting on the "Magic Carpet" at Crystal Mountain. Yes, there are 2 weeks left of ski season and it is the first time she has gotten out there. But, hey, she's there!
This is Ty, wondering what ever he did to deserve this??? Having to sit on the cold, hard, plastic thing while his sister gets to have fun. People kept coming up to me and commenting that I was getting him started very early on skiing.

Jim and Marie her first time down the "Hill." Along the left you can see both the "Magic Carpet" and the sharp incline of the hill called "Thor." She insisted that she was ready to ski that and couldn't understand why we didn't take her on it.
Arriving at the bottom safely. They repeated this 5 more times and then she proclaimed she was done. It was nap-time. We got in the car and she ate more than I have ever seen her eat and then she fell asleep. Jim drove them around while I went to Sam's Club. After dinner, she insisted on going back out to ski with Jim in the front yard. Thata girl!

Ok...so why was it normal? Well, we ALL got out and did stuff together as family. First time. Up till now, the thought of BOTH of them out and about was too much. Today we were able to figure out how to manage their different needs/wants at the same time. It was not easy! It took me dropping Jim and Marie off at the bottom of the hill with their boots, parking the car and schlepping Ty, the sled and Marie's skiis across the parking lot, Jim navigating getting their ski boots on and meeting us outside with his skiis, getting Ty safe in the sled, getting Marie to the ski area, managing her needs and Ty's and then UNDOING it all to get back in the car after 1 hour! At one point, they were both tired and hungry in the back and simultaneously crying. So we fed them (and were able to laugh) and, sure enough, they fell asleep. I believe Marie was crying because Ty had touched her little bag IN HIS SLEEP, mind you. Ty was crying earlier because, frankly, he got the shaft. He had to sleep and eat in the car so his sister could enjoy the ski hill. Why do second children have issues??? Since they were sleeping, Jim dropped me off at Sam's Club and he kept driving. I bought a few necesseties (wine and cheese) and then called him to come get me. They had both just woken up. There were still some tears and overtiredness but WE DID IT.
We thought of all of us going together to church tomorrow but decided not too. Realized that tomorrow, Marie and Jim have swim class for the first time and that would be pushing it. So Jim and Marie will go to 9am service and I will hit 11.

5 comments:

The Meier Two said...

Well, at least you and Jim were not crying! Great day and such a thrill for me to see Marie skiing on "my" hill! How many times I have skated UP that hill! No, not Thor! Love it! Aunt Dot

tarita said...

Glad you got out! I personally think Ty was upset because he wasn't able to control his situation. He might be considered a first born. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.
So will you get to ski THor one more time?

HollyMarie said...

Wine and cheese sounds good. Bring some over! ;)

usafinks said...

Hurray!! the new normal...Ty will get used to it--and I bet, start looking forward to it.

sigh, I can't tell you how many football games I've had to watch from the car because I HAD TO GO and it was naptime (LOL)... and now, Annalee LOVES all things at that sports complex (really funny that she knows which field is for what sport and season!)

anyway, you guys rock... kudo's for getting "out there" --it only gets easier from here, right?!!

--ps HELLO...Marie is a skiing studdess!

Reading Glasses said...

Wow, my niece has had more downhill ski time than me this year. Uggggghhhhh....depressing. A funny post, though! I hope to join you all next year for some time on the slopes.