Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wiped Out

I have never been so tired - ever. It is now 9:30 Wed night here- exactly 12 hours later than in Michigan.
We woke up at 4am Tuesday morning for our 6am flight to Chicago (of course, didn't get more than 3 hours of sleep). The flight to Beijing left around 12:30 and we were in the air for 12.5 hours. There were about 9 couples on the flight who were adopting. We were sharing pictures in the airport. The flight was forever. At one point, Jim asked me how long we'd been in the air. 4 hours at that point - 8 to go. We watched Band of Brothers DVD and read and tried to sleep. They did feed us 2 small meals and a bowl of noodles. The best part was flyinig over the North Pole and seeing the ice sheets below. We got through customs fine; Jim was asked if he was a boxer. Then had a bus ride to the hotel and saw parts of Beijing. Beijing is under construction - the entire city I think.We were told that the Forbidden City tour would be very disappointing asmany parts are being fixed up for the Olympics and are not open to public. Every place you look an old building is being torn down and a new high rise is going up. Signs for the Olympics are very common.

Tomorrow is a bit of a free day; we don't have anything till 4. We think we will take a cab to the Temple of Heaven and do some sightseeing.

It was very emotionally overwhelming to be in the airport and on the way to the hotel. First to be here in China is very exciting. But then to realize what is happening in 4 days is breathtaking. We feel so excited and grateful all at the same time. And tired. That flight home will be interesting. We are both a little scared, I think.

1 comment:

Kathy Mead said...

Juleen and Jim, I was also getting teary eyed as I read through your story. It is SOOO COOOOL that Juleen and Marie locked eyes, and that she has bonded so quickly with her new mom. Jim, remember that patience is a virtue. When I used to coach new parents, I always tried to point out that the most important 1st bond is with the mom... the dad is the second bond. What a strange world the hotel must be for Marie! Keep your focus on that, and remember that you two have each other, and now Marie! THANKS for sharing your story and know that many prayers continue to be with all of you!