Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Birthday at School

Marie turns 3 today! She was so excited about celebrating her birthday at school. Her teacher has a wonderful birthday ritual that Marie told us about many times. The children sit in their circle and in the middle is a candle representing the sun. The "birthday child" holds the globe. The parent (me, fighting not to cry) tells a little bit about the child's first year. When the I was done, Marie walked around the sun holding the globe, representing her first year. The children sing a little stanza about the earth moving around the sun and then we talk about her second year and so on. Marie was so excited; she kept practicing at home how she was going to walk around the sun and also thrilled that Jim and I would be at school with her. After the sun-earth part, they children sang "Happy Birthday" and she got to wear her crown. Then she picked a friend to pass out napkins and one to pass out the snack with her. It was so fun to see her think through her choices.

She had informed me a while back that she wanted to bring popcorn balls. I thought, "Great! How healthy." I had never made them before. I can't believe how much sugar and corn syrup is used to make a popcorn ball! They are h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e for you!!! And rather sticky to make, I might add. The teacher made sure all the students knew to recycle their plastic baggie and to throw the napkins away in the compost pail.



At the end, as the school day got underway, Marie did a little dancing to celebrate. She had a little bit of a hard time seeing us go but the teacher told her she got to help feed the class rabbit today and that helped.
Thanks to my buddy for covering my class so I could participate!





























2 comments:

Lisa said...

WOW! What a neat way to celebrate "one more time around the sun". :) Sounds like a great memory was made for all three of you! I have never tried popcorn balls.... was it worth the work? I'll take my queues from you!

Oh and you know I couldn't leave without commenting about the background... snow... ahhhhhhhhh!

Happy Birthday Marie!!!

usafinks said...

oh shoot... you have me tearing up (with the first year stuff!)

you know, I would be suprised if Marie carries pieces of this memory through adulthood.

Kudos to her teacher!
it's fantastic!!!